Monday, November 29, 2004

Scorecard

I need to come up with a consistent format for these reports I publish every time a stock actually sells.

I try to deposit cash into my account every week. I don't think it's particularly meaningful - saving money is admirable but not particularly noteworthy.

I bought 50 shares of GCO on 11/18/2004 at 29.20. These 50 shares sold today at 30.23.
I paid $22 in commissions. Doing the math:
50 @ 30.23 = 1511.50
50 @ 29.20 = 1460.00
That's $51.50. Subtract $22 for commissions and I made $29.50 profit. It took 10 days for my price to hit and the trade to execute.

The noteworthy part is that this was a solid 2% profit in ten days. It would have been a 2% profit whether or not I had invested almost $1,500 or $15,000. I just can't say it enough.

This was the 5th time I've sold a stock for a 2% profit this month. By God's grace, there were no losing trades this month. (But be prepared - statistically speaking, it will happen!)

I'm going to try to do the scorecards in this same format. Is this helpful to you? Does it help you see what you could do? If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

I started to cut and paste the courtesy email notifications I got today but they contain a lot of personal information! Maybe I could print them, black out the account numbers and full names (I don't want my boss to find me here - not yet anyway!) and scan them.

If I had found this blog five years ago, I think I would have been skeptical. Even if there isn't a stock report for sale!

3 Comments:

Anonymous blink said...

Just ran across your blog. This is great! I started along this path 5 years ago doing stocks then went to options ( more bang for the buck) then to where I trade now from home , trading futures. Futures trading is basically trading an index real time. I trade the Russell 2000 index, the S&P and Euro currency ( sometimes). On the Russell for instance for every point it moves it is worth $100 for each contract (share) you own. An average day will move 5-15 so its pretty consistent in the availability of money to be made. The commissions are cheap...many brokers are around $5-$8 round trip. Also a nice feature for tax purposes ... futures enjoy unique tax treatment not available to securities. Generally, securities transactions are taxed as either short-term capital gains or more favorably as long-term capital gains. Futures transactions, however, are simply lumped together and reported on a single Form 1099 at year-end. Any profits are taxed at the “60/40” rate – 60 percent taxed at the favorable long-term rate and 40 percent taxed at the short-term rate. The best thing about index trading(futures) is that you dont have to do research nor be surprised by a sudden bad announcement that tanks the stock.
I just wanted to say hi and to encourage you in your pursuit of working-from-home!

4:35 PM  
Anonymous earn free money r said...

Hi Mary,

I see you share my interest in earn home money ways . Your input would mean a lot to me. If you would be so kind to visit my site and give me your feedback, I would most appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike

6:30 PM  
Anonymous currency markets said...

Mary, while researching for forex trading related information I have come accross your blog. Since your site is generally related to forex and forexnews I thought you might find this forexnews related site interesting. Check them out.

Kind regards.

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home